Today we will be talking about the benefits of the Tibetan singing bowl. What they are and how to use them. I purchased my first bowl a few years ago and have regularly used it in my meditation practice ever since. I love to use it as the mellow tone keeps me focused and cleanses the energy around me. Let’s get into it.
What Are Singing Bowls
Tibetan singing bowls also called Himalayan bowls or singing bowls are a type of bell that vibrates and produces a rich, deep tone in various keys when played. These bowls are used to promote relaxation and have powerful healing properties. Traditional bowls were made of a variety of metals including mercury. lead, silver, iron, and copper. Their popularity grew in the 90s as a complementary and alternative treatment for a variety of ailments, but their uses date back thousands of years.
Tibetan Singing Bowl Uses
Studies have shown some potential benefits to using Tibetan bowls outside of using them for relaxation.
- Improving Sleep – Because the singing bowls therapy, it has been linked to decreased anxiety and tension it may be helpful for improving sleep.
- Lower Blood Sugaring – a study published in the American Journal of Health Promotion in 2014 examined the benefits of starting a directed relaxation with 12 minutes of singing bowl sounds. It found a greater reduction in blood pressure and heart rate compared to silence.
- Stress relief – some researchers support the use of bowls to promote relaxation and reduce feelings of anxiety.
- Reduce Depression one study linked singing bowls therapy to improvements in mood and suggested that this approach might reduce systems of depression.
- Balance and Harmonizing the body many proponents claim that the vibrations of singing bowls can harmonize the cells and balance the body’s energy systems.
How To Use Singing Bowl
For the treatment, it’s best if you have another participant first you lie on the floor while the bowls are placed in different locations. You can place them around your body or in different locations in the room.
Once positioned the practitioner will use the mallet to strike the bowl in sequence in order to produce sounds and vibrations. You might also use guided meditation.
For personal use firmly press the mallet in a circular motion against the bowl outside edge or rim. When you hear a bright clear tone slow the motion and make sure you’re using your full arm not just the wrist.
While many people believe Tibetan singing bowls have a slew of health benefits more research is still needed. It’s a great addition to add your current meditation practice to your cleansing ritual. When you’re first starting out I would suggest something smaller and once you get used to it then move to larger bowls.
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. If you would to know more please click here.